Grandparents’ Legal Rights in the UK

Sadly, it is a well-known fact that the breakdown of a marriage or relationship can affect the goodwill that hitherto took place between spouses and extended family members, particularly grandparents. This can involve a parent taking their children away from their grandparents and stopping contact.

Grandparents and their grandchildren

Often in today’s society, grandparents play a significant role in the upbringing and care of children. This is especially the case as more and more parents are having to work on a full-time or part-time basis. Grandparents can have a particularly strong relationship with their grandchildren. For this reason, it can be very difficult for grandparents to lose contact with their grandchildren.

Tension following a breakdown of a marriage can sometimes impact upon that relationship, which can be upsetting for both grandparents, as well as the grandchildren themselves. In these circumstances, one parent might decide they want to reduce or terminate contact with their ex-partner and the child’s grandparents.

However, it is possible to get a court order which gives grandparents rights to see their grandchildren.

Obtaining grandparents’ rights

Before applying to court for grandparents’ rights, you should firstly try and create an informal agreement with the parents.

However, if grandparents cannot come to an agreement with the parents, they might be able to obtain a court order. It costs £215 to apply. Coming to an informal agreement is recommended to prevent court fees and save time. Going to court for grandparents’ rights should also be seen as a last option to avoid causing further distress to the children.

Family law solicitors for grandparents

It is strongly advised you contact a family law solicitor before applying to court. Our expert team at Major Family Law can provide the experience and knowledge you need. We can additionally give you advice on the available applications that could assist your appeal for grandparents’ rights under the Children Act 1989.

Contact us today for a free, initial consultation and get more information on grandparents’ legal rights.