Domestic Abuse, Harassment & Occupation Orders

At Major Family Law, our solicitors will be able to help you apply for a domestic abuse order in an informative, helpful, and compassionate way. If you have suffered domestic abuse by a family member or intimate partner, then a harassment order can help to protect you from further intimidation and give you peace of mind.  Occupation orders can also be issued to compel an abuser to leave the family home in cases where the property is shared.

Under UK law, domestic violence is defined as any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, or threatening behaviour; violence; or abuse between intimate partners or family members over the age of 16. A domestic abuse order can help if you don’t wish to pursue criminal proceedings but would like reassurance and protection against further encounters with your abuser.

A harassment order can be issued to prevent user an abuser from pestering or intimidating the victim, as well as any children they may have. They may be ordered to remain a certain distance away from the victim at all times, and to break off all contact with them. If you live with your abuser and need to compel them to leave your home, an occupation order is likely to be the best option, as this will force them to move out. Breaching the order is an arrestable offence carrying up to 5 years in prison.

For those who have suffered abuse at the hands of a partner, a domestic abuse injunction can offer real peace of mind while you seek a formal divorce or separation, so you can move on with your life. If you need a domestic violence solicitor, then please don’t hesitate to contact us: you can use our online form, or call us on 01661 824582. We’re also one of the leading North East law firms for parenting disputes, so we can help you with separations involving children, too.