Variation Order

Sometimes our circumstances can change unexpectedly after a divorce, and when they do, Major Family Law can help you to apply for a variation order and get your finances back on track.

Certain aspects of a financial divorce settlement can sometimes be amended if the circumstance of either party change. A variation of spousal maintenance can be used to vary the terms of a financial settlement, to reflect a significant change in the financial circumstances of one or both parties.

There are lots of reasons you may need to vary a court order. For instance, if you pay monetary support to your former spouse and they come into a windfall or get a new job, you could ask the court to stop or reduce the support payments. Or, if you were to come into a significant sum of money, you could request permission to swap their monthly maintenance payments for a one-off lump sum.

The changes can either be agreed between the two parties by consent, or by making an application for a variation order in family court. The court then has the power to vary or discharge the order, or to temporarily suspend (and perhaps later revive) any provision of the settlement.

Whatever your circumstances, Major Family Law is here to help. Our solicitors have extensive experience with dealing with complex financial settlements, and will work to secure the best possible outcome for you and your family. We’re experienced in every aspect of divorce law, and can even help with enforcement of financial orders if you need help recovering your assets after your variation.

If you’d like to discuss getting a variation order, then call us today on 01661 824582. You can also use our online contact form, and we’ll aim to respond to your enquiry within 24 hours.